In the era of OTT, Indian viewers have been watching TV a lot more right now than before the pandemic. This is a good thing not just for brands advertising on TV, but also for digital planners since TV consumption is also a strong indicator of interests and behaviors of audiences.
Advertisers can now easily target interest-based behavioral segments on digital data management platforms (DMPs) based on their TV viewership habits. These smart segments are derived from TV consumption patterns such as time-slots, channel/show/movie viewership, overlapping genre viewership, etc.
This means you can sharpen your audience targeting beyond the usual demographic filters and execute much more impactful digital campaigns!
Below we’ve put together a list of the top 5 smart segments that you need to engage on digital right away:
- Sports Lovers - Right now they should be your no.1 priority with the IPL going on! These audiences heavily consume sports channels (e.g. Star Sports). They can be further segmented into fans of specific sports such as cricket and football based on their viewership of broadcasted tournaments like the IPL or the Premier League.
- Celeb Fans - These audiences watch and follow content obsessively on specific celebrities (actors, actresses, musicians, players), or creators (directors, producers). Whether it’s cricket fans of Virat Kohli or fans of actress Anushka Sharma that you want to target, they can be profiled and engaged through DMPs easily!
- Impact Properties - It refers to TV shows/events which have high viewership owing to the popularity of the genre, such as reality shows like KBC and Big Boss, and even big-ticket events like the IPL. Digitally targeting viewers of these properties leads to higher reach and impact, and can be a cost-effective substitute for TV advertising. For example, brands that cannot advertise on TV due to expensive ad spots can instead reach them on digital instead!
- Fashion & Lifestyle Followers - This is a segment we consider essential to target, especially if you’ve got a premium product. These audiences heavily consume lifestyle channels. Since they include English and HD channel viewers, people in this segment have above average spending power.
- Mass Content Consumers - This segment comprises of loyal viewers of genres like Hindi General Entertainment Category (GEC) and Hindi movies. Targeting this segment means reaching large audiences across different demographics and geographies. These filters are useful when digital planners want to massively increase brand awareness.
These are just a few among the plethora of behavioral segments we can identify and target via DMPs. Download the Smart Segments e-book below to find out about the rest and reach out to us if you want to know anything more!